I presented at the 2016 Desert Code Camp. The topic was WebAPI with F#. I also did a video series to go along with the talk. The talk and video series basically goes over how to use F# in a functional manner by building out all the pieces from scratch.
Here’s the series, hope you enjoy it!
Some set up steps and notes that are important to the success of the project:
Rather than using a custom Railway-Oriented code like in the videos you can use Chessie.
Setting Up Your Project
- Install Visual F# Power Tools
- Create new C# WebAPI
- Create new F# Library
- Add reference to F# Library from C# project.
- Make sure works
- Add reference to System.Net.Http
- Add reference to System.Web.Http → Need to install Nuget package Microsoft.AspNet.WebApi.Core
- Add configuration
GlobalConfiguration.Configuration.Formatters.JsonFormatter.SerializerSettings.ContractResolver = new Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.CamelCasePropertyNamesContractResolver();
- Add FSharp Converters
- JsonProvider → Use FSharp.Data from Nuget
- Connecting to a database using FSharp.Data.SqlClient